WEIMAR REPUBLIC QUESTIONS
1. What was the impact of the First World War on Germany?
2. Describe how World War I still affected the lives of German people in the years 1919-1923.
3. What territorial terms were imposed on Germany by the Treaty of Versailles?
4. What were the main features of the Weimar Republic?
5. What were the main weaknesses of the Weimar Republic?
6. What were the following: a) Article 48?
b) System of Proportional Representation?
7. Describe the role of the Chancellor and the President?
8. What problems existed in Germany 1918-20?
9. Describe the attempts to overthrow the Weimar Republic made in 1919-1920.
10. Describe the Spartacist Rising.
11. Who were the Spartacists?
12. Describe the activities of the Freikorps in Germany, 1919-20.
13. Describe the Kapp Putsch.
14. Describe the occupation of the Ruhr in 1923.
15. Describe the effects of the hyperinflation of 1923 on the German people.
16. Describe the Munich Putsch./ What was the Munich Putsch?
17. What did Hitler learn from the Munich Putsch?
1. Why did the Germans hate/ resent the Treaty of Versailles?
2. Why were there so many uprisings in Germany in the years 1919-22?
3. Why were the Freikorps important?
4. Why was 1923 a year of crisis for the Weimar Republic?
5. Why did France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr in 1923?
6. Why was there an economic crisis in 1923?
7. Why was there hyperinflation in Germany in 1923?/ Why did Germany suffer hyperinflation in 1923?
8. Why did Hitler organise the Munich Putsch in 1923?
9. Why was the Munich Putsch important?
10. Why was Stresemann important?
10. Why was Stresemann’s foreign policy a success?
11. Why has the period 1923-29 been described as the ‘Golden Years’?